Ubatuba’s history has many significant dates which stand out the important moments that turned the Iperoig village into one of the most beautiful cities on the Brazilian Coast.
The Tupinambá Indians were the first to settle here, in the 16th century, occupying a large area, from São Sebastião to Cabo de São Tomé, in the estate of Rio de Janeiro.
After the arrival of the Portugueses their attempt at eslaving the Indians, the Tupi tribes got togheter under the command of Cunhambebe and formed the “Tamoio’s Confederation”.
The rebellion had the support of the French who were also coming to Rio de Janeiro at the time to colonize Brazilian territories.
Around 1562, trying to establish peace with the indians, the Portuguese sent two jesuit negotiators – Manoel da Nobrega e Jose de Anchieta – to the village. The negotiation took some months during which Nobrega came back to São Vicente with Cunhambebe to deal with the Portuguese while Anchieta was held captive by the Tupinambas in Iperoig, where he would have written several poems on the beach’s sand, among them the famous “Poem to the Virgin”, in honor of ‘Our Lady Mary’.
Finally, in 1563, it was signed the “Iperoig Armistice”, the first Americas’ Treaty of Peace, which would put an end to the conflict.
The truce was over when Mem de Sá arrived at the territory of Rio de Janeiro, consolidating the Portuguese colonization by defeating the French and decimating the Tupinambas.
Having the situation under control, the first settlers were sent to the region. Thus, on the 28th of October, in 1637, the settlement was given the status of a village ( ‘Vila Nova da Exaltação à Santa Cruz do Salvador de Ubatuba), and this date is officially considered the
Ubatuba’s foundation, which founder is the Portuguese nobleman Jordão Albemaz Homem da Costa.
As from this moment, Ubatuba’s village had moments of prosperity and decline, due to the Sugarcane and Coffee Cycles, the Opening of the Ports in 1808, and the new constructions destined for the local elite.
Then, in 1855, at the height of its development, Ubatuba was given the status of city.
Soon after, a new period of decline was experienced; however, in 1933, the State Government brought some improvements to Oswaldo Cruz Road (Ubatuba-Taubaté), making the first connection by road with Vale do Paraíba region, which greatly helped the local tourism.
In 1967, Ubatuba was considered a seaside resort and, later on, in 1975, after the opening of Rio-Santos Road, the tourism became one of the major sources of revenues for the city.
Nowadays, with about 85 thousand people, Ubatuba welcomes more than 2 million visitors every year.